TYPES OF AWNINGS FOR PATIOS
For both an indoor and outdoor Patio Awnings, the possibilities to shade the outdoor space include opting for a wall awning, pergolas-wall or with four supports-, gazebos, textile sails … Choosing one solution or another depends on the space from which you have (the awnings for small patios are ten and the pergolas with awning get note in large patios). We are going to see images and Aleko models of awnings for Patio Awnings.
TYPES OF AWNINGS TO WALL OR ON ROOF
The awnings extend a space of up to 2-3 m with guides that come out from the wall. This protects the area that is attached to the facade . They can also be installed on a roof if your Patio Awnings has one. There are those that are rolled up without a cassette, with a semi cassette (when the awning is pulled up, the structure and the fabric are protected, but the skirt remains outside) and with a cassette (which protects the entire awning fabric). This last option extends the useful life of the awning.
MOTORIZED AWNINGS FOR PATIO AWNINGS
The awnings are comfortable because they are collected when not in use and clear the outside environment . In small Patio Awnings they are perhaps the best option. The bigger the awning, the more recommendable a motorized model is (it needs power). It is operated with a knob. “From 4 m in length you can choose an awning with a motor to facilitate its handling”, explains Carlos belt ran from Bauhaus, who adds “the price depends on the power of the motor, but the difference can range between €200 and €300”.
WITH RAIN AND WIND SENSOR
This extra for the awnings is practical because it helps you to forget about picking it up when it starts to rain or gusts of strong wind arise . A sensor is installed that automatically collects the awning from the Patio Awnings (for which it has to be motorized) as soon as it detects adverse conditions that can spoil it.
PERGOLAS WITH PATIO AWNINGS
If your patio has generous dimensions, the best way to create a large shaded area that covers everything is to opt for a pergola so that the awning projects from the wall to the edge of the exterior. The pergola can have four ground supports or only two because it starts from the façade . It can be made of wood or metal (in the color you want or mark the community of neighbors) and carry manual or automatic awning.
FIBER AWNING FOR PERGOLA
Another solution to shade the Patio Awnings is to place a vegetable fiber awning over the pergola instead of fabric. The reed or bamboo – sold in rolls – are appropriate to install on the structure . You must fix it so that it does not rise with the wind. It will give a fixed shadow – since you cannot pick up the material when you want – but with a very pleasant sun-shadow effect.
AWNINGS WITH STEEL CABLES
A more economical solution (and that an awning is always a plus ) than installing a pergola in a patio is to create shade with a system of fabric awnings fixed to steel cables . You must have two supports to fix the cables. The fabric awning is attached to them, which is extended and collected manually. When they are collected, the cables are very discreet to the eye.
ANOTHER MODEL OF AWNING FOR THE PATIO: SAILS
Textile sails are a low-cost option to shade the patio. Similar to a fabric awning, they are fixed at various points. Ideally, they should be taut. There are square and triangular ones, already made; or custom -made options -higher in price-, as in the case of awnings and pergolas. You can play with one to shade an area of the outdoor patio or several to cover the entire surface.
WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF CHOOSING A GOOD AWNING FOR THE PATIO?
- You will get a suitable shade area for your house, the size of the patio and the orientation. This way you will use more time in summer the outer space.
- A good quality patio awning will keep its color intact for longer and will really keep you out of the sun, even underneath it, as long as you have UV protection.
- It regulates the temperature and makes it not only comfortable to stay in the patio, but the interior of the house is cooled when the patio awning covers windows.
HOW TO TAKE ACTION?
- How high will it be installed? “We must take into account the advance or projection of the awning, which is the distance at which the fabric reaches once it is opened. This, as it has an inclination, has to be at a height where it does not bother us,” they explain from Bauhaus. “We recommend about 3 meters in height so that the projection is over 2.5 m for a 3 m advance.”
- What will be the total width of the awning? “Here it is necessary to bear in mind that the measurements of the standardized awnings are not usually those of the fabric, in addition it is necessary to take into account the mechanisms of the crank, the trims, etc.”
- If it is placed on top of a door or window, “you have to see the distance that remains between the highest part of the window or door and the lowest part of the awning.”
- The area we want to cover, “since there are different advance lengths and this will help us decide on some measures or others”. In addition, this will depend on the location of the awning, the inclination that we have decided to give it and the season of the year. “The inclination with which the sun falls changes with the seasons and this implies modifying the inclination of the awning,” concludes Carlos as a Bauhaus expert.